Heart diseases can be of many kinds. Heart diseases can go undiagnised but today it is easier to diagnose heart problems and find cures for them. Yet we see that heart diseases claim a large number of human lives. This is why it is important to be well aware of the kinds of heart diseases that are common in men. At the same time it is also important to know the ways by which one can prevent the heart diseases.
Common heart diseases
There are many heart diseases but commonly we see that men today are prone to a few. Here are the few common heart diseases:
- Coronary heart disease is the most common heart disease that claims lives today. The hardening of the artery walls to clog blood flow causes this heart disease that can lead to massive heart attacks.
- Arrhythmia is the condition where the heart beat is irregular and inconsistent. Normal heart rate is between 60 to 100 beats per minute but when you have arrhythmia your heart beat can be more than 100 beats or less than 60.
- Congestive heart failure is a sudden failure of your heart to pump blood. Your heart literally skips a beat or two that can be fatal for your body. The oxygen starvation might leave you in a coma if it does not claim your life.
- Congenital heart disease is one that occurs at birth. Such heart diseases can persist if no steps are taken to correct the problem. There are many kinds of congenital heart disease as well, like tetra-logy of fallout, which needs to be corrected only through surgery.
- The inflammation of the cardiac muscles is also common and fatal. The inflammation can lead to excruciating chest aches as well as cardiac arrest. Once the cardiac muscle is inflamed only way to correct it is through surgery.
- Pulmonary heart disease is one that is caused by the lung instead of by any cardiac problems. When the blood flow to the lung is congested the right side of the heart has to pump harder to maintain the flow. In the process the right cardiac muscle might be permanently damaged.
Most of the heart diseases mentioned above need to be corrected through surgery. But there are a few preventive measures you can take. The preventive measures respectively are:
- Leading an overall healthy life is the best prevention for coronary heart disease. A healthy diet, good physical fitness, low alcohol consumption, reduced smoking, regulation of blood pressure and prevention of diabetes can help prevent this heart problem.
- A healthy lifestyle again is the key to preventing heart arrhythmia. Reducing stress and the amount of caffeine intake is also very important.
- To prevent congestive heart disease it is important to lower blood pressure, limit smoking and drinking, eating healthy, working out and cutting back on salt. These can help prevent this heart problem.
- To prevent congenital heart disease it is the responsibility of pregnant mothers to avoid substances that can harm the fetus. Congenital heart disease can be genetic as well so couples should go for genetic counseling before having the child.
- Inflammatory heart disease can be prevented by having a healthier life and by reducing stress levels. This ensures that your heart muscles are not strained.
- Pulmonary heart disease can be prevented by reducing smoking, staying away from allergens and by generally ensuring that your lungs are healthy. If your lungs are fit then the chances of staining your right cardiac muscles are greatly reduced.