Testosterone is a hormone produced in the testicles of men. It is the heart of manhood although women also have testosterone. It plays a large role in male sexuality and reproduction. It also has an impact on muscle mass, hair growth, bone density, levels of blood cells and the sense of good health. The level of testosterone begins to decline from the age of 30 and continues in later years.
Testosterone is simply said to be a hormone in human body. The hormones play an important role in both men and women. Testosterone is a kind of hormone that is mainly produced in male. These are produced in the testicles of men and play a major role in sexual intercourse. Apart from that, it also helps in improving the muscle mass in human body. It is important to know the level of this hormone in your body. Body builders concentrate on the level of testosterone in their body to a greater level in order to increase the bulkiness. For those, whose testosterone results turns out to be low, they have options of seeking natural remedies to improve the level of hormone.
Level of Testosterone in Male
A fact to be noted here is that as the age of men increases, the level of testosterone in them decreases. Serum testosterone is a type of blood test that is used to test the level of this hormone in male. In general, the normal testosterone level in male ranges from 270 to 1070 ng/dL. If you are above 20 years of age, then there are lots of chances that this level keeps on decreasing. On an average, the testosterone level comes around 679 ng/dL.
Effects of Low Testosterone
Many people don’t have the practice of taking the lower testosterone level seriously. This should be avoided. There are various side effects and problems that occur due to the lower level of testosterone.
- Hair Loss – This is one of the worst nightmares for men. Unfortunately, a man who suffers from lower level of testosterone suffers from mild to serious hair loss. The hair production decreases not only in your head but also in facial, legs and hands area.
- Depression – Depression can not only be caused due to work and life problems but also due to lower level of testosterone. Depression leads to anxiety, curiosity, change in mood and aggression. Hence if you are in continuous depression and experience low testosterone levels, then there is no other go but to have regular treatment for effective increase in the level.
- Sperm Production – One should note the fact that a lower or improper level of testosterone is prone to low sperm count of production in male.
- Decrease in Muscle Mass – As said earlier, lower level of testosterone has to be taken seriously. This is what body builders follow. If you are a male and the level of this hormone is found to be abnormal, then your muscle mass gests collapsed completely. Hence immediate measures have to be taken to avoid this.
Ways to Naturally Increase Testosterone Levels
Now that you have got a very good idea on the details of this hormone, here are some of the tips for increasing the level of testosterone safely and effectively.
1. Lose Weight—Overweight men tend to have a low level of testosterone so firstly one must make efforts to reduce weight. This can be done by eliminating processed sugar from the diet. Fructose found in processed foods, fruit juices and soda should be limited. The consumption of grains, milk, should be reduced. Refined carbohydrates like breakfast cereals, bagels, waffles should be avoided. These need to be substituted with healthy foods like fruits vegetables, proteins and healthy fats.
2. High-Intensity Exercise – has a positive effect on increasing the testosterone level and also in preventing its decline. Fasting from time to time also boosts testosterone by increasing the expression of hormones like insulin, lepin etc. which are known to increase healthy testosterone actions.
3. Consumption of Plenty of Zinc is important for testosterone production and supplementing diet. The best dietary supplement for zinc includes raw milk, cheese, beans, yoghurt and other products made from milk. Zinc supplement is also available in the form of medicine to be taken daily.
4. Strength Training focuses on exercises that work on a number of muscles like squats and dead lifts. Slow movement exercises turn into high intensity exercises and are more helpful in building muscles.
5. Optimize Vitamin D Levels Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that is essential for the healthy development of the nucleus of the sperm cell, and helps inmaintaining the quality of the semen and sperm count. It also increases levels of testosterone,
6. Reduce Stress Under stress the body releases a high level of stress hormone which blocks the effects of testosterone and has an effect on testosterone behavior like mating, competing and aggression. Stress relieving tools include prayers, meditation, yoga and laughter. There are many learning relaxation skills like deep breathing and positive thinking which also help in relieving stress
7. Limit or Eliminate Sugar from Diet Testosterone levels decreases with excess consumption of sugar. Hence foods containing added sugar and fructose and fine grains like bread and pasta need to be limited or eliminated.
8. Eat Healthy Fats Healthy fats include polyunsaturated fats found in avocados and nuts and saturated fats that are essential in building testosterone. Fat from animal and plant sources is required for optimal functioning. Healthy fats that give a boost to the testosterone level include olive oil, coconut oil , butter made from raw organic milk, raw nuts, avocados, palm oil and unheated organic nut oils.
9. Boost Your Intake of Branch Chain Amino Acids Branch chain amino acids are found in dairy products like milk, cheese and whey. They increase the testosterone level.
It is essential to boost the level of testosterone as low level develops a different personality in a person which includes lack of confidence, depression, difficulty in sleeping, loss of desire for sex and irritability.
Foods that Increase Testosterone
One of the ways of increasing the level of testosterone is to have those types of foods that increase its level naturally. Eating natural vegetables and foods are the best way to volume up the count. Some of the foods that play a boosting role in increasing testosterone are
Garlic is the easily available ingredient in the grocery shops. The allicin compound that is present in garlic serves as the major ingredient for boosting up the content of testosterone. Eating garlic has the power to ease off the stress producing hormones which in turn increases the level of the testosterone.
Oysters are one of the zinc rich foods that can be considered as the trusted partner for shooting up the testosterone levels. It also plays a major role in building up the weight of muscles. Hence it is considered as the favorite food for body builders.
Egg yolks are the natural ways for boosting up the testosterone levels. Since egg yolks contain saturated fat, cholesterol, proteins, vitamins and Omega 3S, it is one of the best choice for those who look for boosting up the hormone level.
If you are a coffee lover, here is good news for you. The fact is coffee plays a vital level in stimulating the nervous system thereby increasing testosterone level. Since coffee is loaded with anti-oxidant properties, it boosts the hormone level in a shorter span of time.
Coconut is best for producing lean mass and muscle growth. Coconut is the great source for saturated fats which boost up the muscle mass. This in turn increases the level of testosterone in the body. Coconut also balances the hormone level in the body.
Other Ways of Increasing Testosterone
- Check for Trans Fat
Trans fat should be avoided or kept low at any cost. Though saturated fats are healthy enough, the Trans fats are not. Hence any foods that are rich in this type of fat must be avoided. These fats are mostly found in fried and processed foods.
- Check for Other Problems
One problem if not treated properly leads to some other problems. This can also be the reason for the lack of testosterone. Suppose, if you have a symptom of thyroid, there are chances that you have lower level of testosterone. In this case, it is necessary to treat thyroid properly in order to increase the testosterone levels.
- Herbal Teas
For those who go crazy for tea should reduce the amount of its intake. Tea can reduce the level of testosterone level. If you wish to have tea, then it is desirable to go for herbal tea like green tea instead of other varieties.
Meditation and asana have immense power in curing any type of health problem. Meditation reduces the stress level to a great extent. Asana are good enough to keep the testosterone counting. Asana also gives flexibility to muscles and hence increases its strength considerable. Hence both these are vital for a good sex life. So make it as a routine to have meditation and asana as a part of your daily schedule.