What Is Fragile X Syndrome?
Fragile X syndrome is a congenital genetic disease that shows intellectual and developmental disabilities. This is a common syndrome found in boys. It is a lifelong condition in which the child experiences learning and developmental problems.
Causes of Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the result of a defect in a particular gene located on the X chromosome that is types of sex chromosome. The function of the gene makes protein that helps in functioning of the nervous system. A mutation on the gene prevents the making of protein that causes symptoms of fragile X syndrome.
Characteristic of Fragile X syndrome
Mental retardation is the most common characteristic of fragile X syndrome which are also the characteristics of children with autism and Down syndrome.Behavior problems include delay in milestones of crawling, walking and turning. Hand biting and hand clapping is another characteristic prevalent in these kids. The child or adult will show hyper active and impulsive behavior
Physical characteristics found in patients with fragile X syndrome include large heads, loose joints, protruding ears,pronounced chin or long faces. Some of these features are present at birth and
Treatment of Fragile X Syndrome
- Fragile X syndrome is a life ling condition and not a disease. It cannot be cured completely. The aim of the treatment is to help the patientto learnthe keyskills ofcommunication. The teachers, therapists, doctors, coachesand family members will have to take extra effort to help these children.
- There are some services and other resources available in the community to helpthese children tolearn important skills for proper development.
- Sometimes medicines are prescribed for behaviour disorder like lack of attention and anxiety.
Ayurveda treatment of fragile X syndrome
- Ayurveda treats mental deficitby using medicines like Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, Mandukparni Vacha and Ashwagandha.
- Delayed growth of activities in kids can be treated by using Bala, Naagbala , Laghu-Malini-Vasant, Shatavari, Madhu-Malini-Vasant and Suvarna-Malini-Vasant.
- Aggressive and autistic-like behaviour can be treated using Sarpagandha , JayphaL,Khurasani ova and Jatamansi
- Musculoskeletal problems and Limb deformities and muscoskeletal problems are treated by different ras and guggulu.
- Under nourished and under-developed children can be treated using medicines like Vishwa , Marich and Suvarna-Parpati.
- Recurrent respiratory infections can be treated with Sitopaladi-Churna, Talisadi-Churna, Gojhivhadi-Qadha, Ras-Sindur, and many others.
As it is seen that there are multisystem and multi facet abnormalities in children with fragile X syndrome it is necessary that the patient be treated by a multi-facet team of doctors. Family counselling plays a vital role in the management of this condition. The child with this syndrome is expected to lead a normal life and can perform all activities. But they require some help and guidance. There can be some children with a mild syndrome that may not lead to intellectual disability, but can face problems like poor coordination of limbs and tremors. Women can have difficulty in conception or face premature menopause.