If your feet emit a horrible stink after you remove your shoes, then you have got bromodosis or smelly feet. It can be quite embarrassing, as the obnoxious odor can make everyone puke in disgust. So if you are troubled by this problem, then you need to identify and get rid of the possible causes.
What Causes Foot Odor
Primarily, you need to know why your foot smells like a chemical bomb that proves to be disgusting for you as well as the surrounding people. The problem of smelly feet may be triggered by numerous reasons
- The mixture of sweat and bacteria from your feet. Excessive sweating of the feet (Hyperhidrosis) can exaggerate this problem. Some men sweat only during the summer season while others face the issue of perspiration throughout the year. To be precise, there is no odor of sweat itself but when it starts mingling with bacteria, your foot smells bad.
- Men who wear shoes for a prolonged period during summer season or have the issue of excessive sweating face this problem even more. Wearing shoes for an extended period does not allow the sweat to dry up or evaporate, trapping it inside the footwear. It gives way for the bacteria to mix with the moisture and stick to the shoes and socks that you are wearing. Eventually, the shoes and socks start smelling in a foul way and later on your feet stinks like rotten garbage.
Some other factors may contribute to the issue of stinky feet, including:
- Alcohol and drugs
- Hormonal changes
- Lack of hygiene
Home Remedies for Stinky Feet
Now if you are fed up of your lousy smelling issue and searching ways for smelly feet remedies, then here are some of the home remedies that you can consider on how to get rid of foot odor fast.
- Prepare some hot water in a tub and add some salt and apple cider vinegar to it. Soak your feet in the solution for abouthalf an hour. It will not only cleanse your feet but also eliminate the bacteria that are causing the smelly feet problem.
- Wash your feet thoroughly with a disinfectant soap later on to kill the foot odor. You have to rub the areas between the toes and fingers as it becomes the major depositary of sweat and can lead to fungal infection in future.
- You can apply some essentials oil like grapefruit seed extract or lavender to your feet which leaves a lovely herbal smell and keeps the fungus away from your feet.
How to Get Rid Of Smelly Feet
- Keep your toenails trimmed so that there is no accumulation of sweat or bacteria in them.
- The socks that you wear are the biggest culprit behind smelly feet. Hence you need to resolve that issue first hand. In case you have a sweaty foot, then you need to go for sweat resistant socks that do not absorb the perspiration of your foot and help it to dry up quickly.
- Moisture wick socks shall be the ideal choice for the men with sweaty feet. If socks are the real cause of smelly shoes or feet, then try wearing your footwear without socks whenever possible if it does not hurt.
- Also, wear fresh socks every day or wash your socks in a good detergent to reduce the chances of bacterial formation.
How to Get Smell Out Of Shoes
For the complete cure of smelly shoes, here we share some preventive measures that will help in keeping your shoes from smelling bad:
- Spraying disinfectant or foot deodorizer in your shoes to prevent the formation of odor-causing bacteria.
- Sprinkling a little baking soda or foot powder in the shoes may help eliminate bacteria in the shoes.
- Using medicated insoles prevents the formation of bacteria in the foot and arrest the odor.
- Have two or three pairs of shoes so that you can change your footwear and allow the shoes to get dried off the sweat.
- Loafers are ideal for men with stinky feet, as they can remove the shoes whenever they get the chance and give the feet some breathing space. In this way, the likelihood of having foot odor will minimize a lot.
- If the foot odor is associated with fungal infection like athlete’s foot, then it is advised that you visit a doctor and start taking antifungal medicines to cure foot odor problem.
- You can put some baby powder in the shoes as it is one of the easiest hacks when it comes to removing odor from the shoes.
Hence for all the men out there who are having a tough time in getting rid of stinky feet problem, the steps mentioned above will be quite useful.