In the primitive age, men were hunters and gatherers who fought with their natural surroundings to procure food for themselves and their family. Being ushered with scientific and technological advancement, today, we either go to office and slog before a computer or dwindle in a couch, yawning to the heart’s desire. This often leads to obesity, with a stark reminder being the irreverent fat that wraps around men’s thighs. The deposition of unwanted fat occurs due to two main reasons:
- Consumption of oily, fatty and junk food
- Insufficient aerobic activity
Although recent studies, like the one published in the journal ‘Yale Scientific’, have contradicted the concept of targeted weight loss, thigh fat can be burned off by following a healthy diet and performing aerobic exercises consistently.
What to Eat: Reduce Leg Fat without Exercise
- Carbohydrates- Try to avoid simple carbohydrates because they cause a sudden insulin spike in the blood. If you absolutely can’t stay without them, take them immediately before a workout or a strenuous physical activity. Consume complex carbohydrates, like whole wheat and oats, because these take a long time to be completely absorbed by the body, and hence do not result in an insulin spike, thus, preventing deposition of fat.
- Protein- Lean proteins are great for weight loss like chicken or turkey, fish, ground beef, soy, pork loin, beans, lentils, pulses, yogurt, dry fruits, and nuts.
- Vegetables and fruits- Green vegetables and fruits form the best source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that foster fat loss.
- Fats- Turn towards the sources of good fats i.e. polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats like nuts, olives, corn, avocados, safflower oil, omega-3, and omega -6 fatty acids. Avoid fried foods of any kind, all kinds of vegetable oils, edibles that have high starch content and packaged fruit juices or energy drinks because these are filled with sugar.
Fast Ways to Lose Fat in Your Thighs
Outdoor cardio routine for men
Hit the streets to do some cardio training like running, walking and rope-climbing to burn off the fat from your thighs, hips and also belly. It has been proven that metabolism rates increase when outdoor or indoor cardio is performed in an HIIT module-High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT includes running or walking in intervals of extreme intensity for short periods followed by a normal pace for a comparatively longer period.
Indoor cardio routine for men
Combine various exercises like mountain climbers, planks, side planks, power push-ups, box jumps to create your own cardio routine. Combine weight training with cardio, and you’ll be in awe of your thighs soon!
Exercises and Workouts to Burn Thigh Fat
Working out regularly or engaging in moderate to intense aerobic exercises will greatly help in tackling fat around the thighs. Fat loss can only be triggered when the body functions in a state of calorie deficit- when the body burns more calories than what is consumed. The calorie deficit can be reached if a perfect balance of training and diet is maintained, but it will differ from one body to another. You can try these exercises to burn thigh fat-
Squats – For the front, upper and outer thighs
It can be performed in a varied number of ways to isolate the front, upper and outer thighs- quadriceps and the inner thighs-adductors. Squats are also great strength exercises and can help burn belly fat as the force is generated through the core. Gluteal muscles will also feel the heat, so be sure to shed some fat off your hips.
- Stand with your feet apart maintaining a shoulder-width distance. Your toes should point outward.
- Extend your back so that you can bend your knees without a hitch. Breathe in while going down.
- Keep your chest upright as you come down, once your thighs are parallel to the floor, explode up while breathing out throughout the upward motion.
- Remember to push through the heels while you push up.
- Contract the thigh muscles on reaching the starting position. Repeat for the desired number of reps. Perform the weighted version, after you master the form.
Sumo Squats – Burn the fat from the inner thighs
To burn the fat off the inner thighs, perform a variant of the normal squat called the Sumo Squat which targets the adductors more. Stand with your feet with a stance which is wider than shoulder distance. Repeat the same procedure as a normal squat.
Lunges – Exercise for thigh and hip fat loss
Lunges are another great exercise which should find a place in your arsenal as you try to reduce the stubborn leg fat. Short lunges target the quadriceps, while, the wide lunges target the glutes.
- Stand with your feet, placing them shoulder-width apart.
- Engaging your core, step outward with one foot.
- Inhale and press down with the feet placed outward. Bend your back leg as you go down so that the shin is parallel to the floor.
- Touch the floor with the heel of the back leg. Exhale as you come back to the starting position.
- Now repeat with your other leg. One repetition constitutes performing both the legs. Add resistance by holding dumbbells to your side.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Stiff-legged deadlifts – Burn fat from the back of your thighs
These mainly target the hamstrings, causing an intense burn of the fat around the back of the thighs and greatly help in losing the sagging fat.
- Grab either a dumbbell or a barbell to perform this exercise.
- Hold the dumbbell to your side. For a barbell, use an overhand grip maintaining shoulder-width distance.
- Extend the hips and bend down up to the knees, maintaining a straight back. Never lock out the knees, keep a slight curvature. Inhale throughout this motion.
- Return to the starting position, exhaling as you complete the motion.
- Do as many reps as suits you.
Some more exercises to lose fat from the buttocks and the back of your thighs are the one-legged back kicks and hip thrusts.
A perfect balance of workout along with the right nutrition can take you far in the pursuit of well-toned thighs. To completely lose the excess fat in a week or two is impossible, but with the consistency of training and diet, your legs will start looking different after a couple of weeks. So, start with the good work today!