Shaving is a normal routine for men. Some men find shaving a relaxing and contemplatingexperience, while it is a frustrating job for others. Men with heavy beards, kinky and curly hair, irritation and razor bumps facemany problems. These requireproper care to get a smooth and clean face every day.
Bar Soap or Liquid Cleansers for Men—Barsoaps are suitable for men with oily skin or normal skin. Dry and itchy skin calls for liquid cleansers. Soaps and cleansers with emollients like glycerin, jojoba oil, vitamin oil and olive oil may lead to blockage of pores and inflammation. Oil skin also leads to development of acne when there is excess oil. The soaps and liquids containing glycolic acid or salicylicacid or benzyl peroxide help in removing the dead skin from the upper layer and does deeper cleaning of the pores on the skin. These soaps also have anti-bacterial qualities.
Moisturizers for Men— the best way to moisten men’s skin is to choose the cream or lotion according to the nature of the skin. Dry skin requiresthick cream. Lotion does well on normal skin. Oily skin calls for a skin toner or a gel.
Cause of Razor Bumps
Razor bumps are a commonshaving problem faced by men with curly hair. This problem can be solved by shaving with a grain of whiskers or by not shaving very close to it.
Home Remedies for Shaving Discomfort
- Proper preparationbefore shaving is the key to a good shave. This requires moistening and softening the skin with a warm, moist cloth.
- Shaving with the grain that means moving the razor in the direction the hair grows
- Shower is theperfect place to shave, because the steam and hot water softens and moistens the skin.
- Since shaving is rough on the skin. The daily growth should not be done very closely to avoid discomfort.
- Double and triple blades should be avoided and single blade razors need to be used.
- A good amount of froth need to be produced from the foam to make the skin soft and moisturized.
- The blades should be changed frequently as a dull blade can scrape the skin.
- Electric razors can be less irritating to the skin.
- A sunscreen or a quality after shave is helpful on a freshly shaved face.
- Most of the electric razors don’t shave as closely as a double-track razor, so they are less likely to irritate the skin.
- Reduce the number of shaves by shaving every other day. Give the skin time to heal it allows the hair to grow straight through the surface without forcing too-short hairs back into the skin. Frequent shaving will trap hair inside the follicles
Ingrown hairs are also called razor bumps. They are unsightly and painful. Ingrown hair is those that are trapped in the follicle or grow back into the skin. This can cause swelling, redness and scarring in the area.
- Ingrown hair can beeffectively treated with active ingredients like salicylic acid.
- Use of non –acne genic shaving cream with goodamount of lubricants.
- Products containing alcohol should not be used as alcohol is a drying agent.
- The surface of the skin should be kept clean by removing the dead skin with a good face scrub containing glycolic and salicylic acid.
- Shaving should not be done very closely to avoid hair getting trapped into follicles.
- Present ingrown hair need to be pulled out with tweezers. Some particular lotions containing witch hazel can be used to avoid the redness and swelling of ingrown hair.