The prostate is a part of the male reproductive system which exists directly under the bladder. It is normally the size of a walnut. There are many small glands in the prostate which produce a fluid that becomes a part of the semen.
Prostate cancer is a common cancer found in men. The main cause of prostate cancer is said to be high fat and high sugar diet. It is believed that this cancer starts with tiny changes in the shape and size of the prostate gland cells. Most men develop this disease but most of the time it goes unnoticed.
Researchers have carried on with long experiment for years and found out the ways to slow down the prostate cancer. New study of National Cancer Research Network in UK has presented ways of slowing down the growth of cancer cell with the help of 4 food items. After the experiment was over, the researchers have found out the reduction of PSA level by 64 %. Here around 203 men were provided with a pill that constitutes the extract of 4 concentrated food extracts. As a result all those men were viewed slowing down the risk of prostate cancer.
Best food to slow down prostate cancer
It is one of the wonderful herbal ingredients available in the market to prevent the growth of cancerous cells in your body. It contains a particular variety of polyphenol named as catechin. This polyphenol gets accumulated in the prostate tissue of a man and arises the sensitivity which in turn kills the cancer cell by reducing the PSA level. According to the study conducted in Japan, fact was found that, the men who consume green tea regularly can reduce the risk of getting prostate cancer by 86%.
The compound present in this fruit can easily inhibit the formation of carcinogens. Thus, the cancer cells will stop growing inside your body or prostate. Many studies were conducted by the scientists around the world which gave rise to proof of reduction of PSA production after consumption of Pomegranate.
It is another natural ingredient with the proven method of treating prostate cancer. It is a wonderful cruciferous vegetable which includes the sulphur rich compound which are also known as the anti cancerous agent. If you can consume this vegetable often in your meals, there will be 40% less risk of getting prostate cancer.
This is used as a spice in many Asian kitchens. People also use turmeric in diet for its anti bacterial properties. This is a wonderful anti –inflammatory herb that contains curcumin. It helps wonderfully the spread of prostate cancer in your body. By consuming turmeric in a regular basis, prostate cancer survival rates will be reduced. The cancer cells that produced PSA will be stopped.
If you can consume adequate proportion of zinc in your diet, risk of spreading the prostate cancer cells will be reduced. Zinc is such an ingredient that fights against free radicals. This in turn has the property of repairing the damaged DNA. It is recommended to consume 10-20mg of food rich in zinc in your diet regularly. Some of the food items that includes zinc are nuts, seafood, seed butter etc.
Another good predictor of prostate cancer is low selenium. We are consuming variety of foods that are rich in selenium. It includes garlic, mushrooms, fish, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, whole grains. You must make a point of consuming 100 gram of selenium in your diet in the form of variety of foods sated above. You can also speak to your doctor and take some multi vitamins.
Foods that slow down the growth of prostate cancer
- Pulses like kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils contain plant chemicals that help to prevent cancer. Soy foods including soy milk, tofu and soy yogurt help to slow down the growth of prostate cancer
- Tomatoes also contain a plant chemical called lycopene, help to slow down the growth of prostate cancer and also helps to reduce the growth of prostate tumour. It is believed that cooked and processed tomatoes in the form of soups, sauce, purees and pastes which also have more amount of lycopene as compared to fresh tomatoes.
- Cruciferous vegetables This include broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and spinach also help to slow down the growth of prostate cancer.
- Walnuts have the power to reduce inflammation of the prostate and regulate the growth of the prostate gland.
- High fibre diet A high fibre diet can also slow the growth of prostate cancer because the chemicals in the fibre prevent prostate tumours in making new blood vessels that are required for the energy to grow cancer. This diet includes whole grains and plant based foods which can help in the progress of the disease at an early stage.
Foods to be limited to reduce the risk of prostate cancer
- Dairy products and calcium can increase the risk of prostate cancer. It is required for the overall health and strong bones hence it cannot be completely avoided but should be limited.
- Red and processed meat can also raise the risk of advanced prostate cancer. Beef, pork and lambare red meats and ham, bacon, sausages and burgers are processed meats.
- Over cooked meat or meat cooked on high temperatures also increase the risk of advanced cancer.
- Fat is required in a diet but too much fat canincrease the risk of advanced cancer