Dandruff has become one of the most common hair problems these days. There are many men and women who are prone to dandruff. These deadly flakesdamage the hair andits beauty to a great extent.It does not matter whether you are a man or a woman. If you do not maintain your hair properly, you are likely to suffer from dandruff. Hence, it ishighly essential to treat dandruff immediately.
Understanding the reasonfor the occurrence of dandruff is important in order to stop it fromrecurring. Dandruff can make your hair itchy and thereby, irritate your skin. .Your image also gets spoiled due to this condition.The irritated skin then leads to the formation ofitchy and dry white flakeson the scalp. These visible flakestogether form amassive flakeon the scalp.It is to be noted that sensitive skin causes dandruff easily due to the presence of oleic acid. You can easily notice the amount of dandruff in your hair just bytaking a lookat your shoulders.
More on Dandruff
There are some studies that show that dandruff is caused by the presence of an excessive amount of dead cells present in the skin.In the case of such people, the flakes that are produced are dry and less oily. This type of dandruff is found mostly in teens and adults due toseveral factors. There are also certain cases where dandruff causes excessive redness of the scalp and it is accompanied by some amount of itchiness.
Factors that cause dandruff
There are many factors that cause dandruff among men. Here are some of the most common reasonswhy some people suffer from dandruff.
- Dry Skin – Dandruff and dry skin are closely associated withone another.Men, who have dry skin, are most prone to dandruff.In such cases, the skin becomes less oily and causes more dandruff.
- Malassezia –Malassezia is a type of fungus which causes dandruff. Though this fungus doesn’t harm your skin as such, it accelerates thespeed at which dandruff grows. This type of fungus is most commonly found among adults. Men who suffer from dandruff due to Malassezia have an itchy scalp.
- Stress – Though there are many reasons for the presence of dandruff, stress is one of the major reasons,according to several hair specialists. Emotional stress causes not only dandruff but also many other health problems.
- Extreme Climates – Climatic conditionsare also one of the causes of dandruff.Extreme hot or cold climate causes itchy white or grey flakes among men. However, the intensity varies according to the skin type and the climaticcondition.
- Sensitive Skin – If your skin is sensitive to new hair products, it causesyour scalp to become reddish and leads to dandruff.
Simple Tips for Dandruff Hair
Along with simple and effective home remedies, here are some of the waysthat reduce the problem of dandruff.
- Avoid too much of stress. Since stress is one of the majorcauses of dandruff, avoid any kind of emotional stress. Bring into practice the concept of work life balance and keep aside any negative thoughts that are worrying you.
- Shampoo regularly. Bathing once a week is notgoing to help combat the problem of dandruff. Since men havelittle hair to take care of unlike women, you need to avoidbeing lazy and go for regular head baths witha good antidandruff shampoo. Take a hair bath at least twice a week.
- Follow a proper diet. Each and every problem in the body may be linkedto one another. However, the common and the most sought after method of reducing the intensity of these problems is to go for a proper diet. Excess consumption of fatty, sugary and oily items may turn your scalp dry, causing dandruff. Hence, make it a practice to avoidsuch types of foods.
- Brush your hair properly. Improper brushing is also another major cause of dandruff.
- Do not use toomany chemicalson your hair.Remember that your hair is as sensitive as your skin. Hence, avoid experimentingwith newhair products. Choose organic and herbal shampoos for regular use.
- Take care of your hair justas you would take care of your health. Use a clean comb and apply oil frequently in order to avoid dryness of the scalp.
Even though dandruff is a common problem among the youth, the solutions are not so uncommon. Following home remedies is a natural way of treating those who suffer from dandruff.
Dandruff is mostly caused by the presence of fungus in the skin. Baking soda acts as an excellent remedy for treating dandruff that is caused by fungus. It also acts as a mildexfoliating agent that helps in removing dead skin cells from the scalpquite easily.Using baking soda will help reduce the problem of dandruff even though it may be caused due to a dry scalp.Apply a paste of baking soda and water on your scalp. Skip the process of shampooing and rinse thoroughly.If you never knew, baking soda works its magic not only in the kitchen but also on your hair.
Lemon juice is one of the best waysof treating dandruff in an effective manner. It also acts as an effective remedy for dry scalp. Lemon juice can also be combined with baking soda and appliedon the scalp. Lemon plays a vital role in reducing the itchiness and rednessof the scalp.Squeeze some juice from a lemon and applyon the scalp before going for a head bath. Leave your hair undisturbed for 20 minutes. Now, wash the hair witha good antidandruff shampoo. Repeat this procedure twice a week for best results.
Dandruff can be easily treated using neem leaves. In fact, they are known to have superior anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The application of a paste of neem leaves and water on the hair will not onlyrelieve youfrom dandruffbut also treat any bumps and redness. The anti-fungal property of neem leaves helps relieve an itchy scalp and soreness. Neem can be combined with fenugreek seeds and coconut oil for best results. Boil the neem leaves andwait till a paste thathas a mousse like consistency is formed. Add fenugreek seeds, a few drops of coconut oil and a spoon of curd or yogurt to it. Apply this pasteon your hair and leave it for half an hour. Wash it off with warm water and shampoo your hair. Repeat this procedure for at least a month for best results.
Mouthwash that is used for cleansing the mouth can also be used to get rid of dandruff. However, do not useit frequently. This home remedy can befollowed once a month to get rid of dandruff. Apply a mixture of mouthwash and water on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Then, shampoo your hair andwash it off completely.
Not only is garlic an inexpensive home remedy but also highly effective when it comes to treating a dandruff prone scalp. Since garlic is rich in anti-fungal properties, it can be considered asan effective home remedy.Mix crushed garlic with a few drops of raw honey andapply on the scalp. This combination prevents an itchy scalp and makesit healthy.
Basil leaves commonly known as Tulsi serve as a good Ayurvedic remedy. As basil leaves are rich in anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties andthey can be combined with neem leavesfor preparing a paste.
Henna has been used by many men and women since times immemorial for hair care.Did you know that it also helps restore the pH balance of your hair?Henna contains garlic acid and tannic acid.Hence, it has the ability to fight dandruff. Apart from treating a dandruff pronescalp, it also acts as an excellent conditioner for your hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is considered as one of the bestdandruff treatments.Since apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, it can help treat the problem of yeast, which is one of the main causes of dandruff. Make a solution by mixing half a cup of apple cider vinegar andwater. .Apply this mixture on the roots of the hair and leave it for 15 minutes. .Follow this home remedy twice a week to get rid of dandruff completely.
Salt is considered as an excellent naturalexfoliating agent for getting rid of dead skin cellsat the root of the hair. Among different types of salts, Epsom salt acts as a curative for dandruff.. Gently rub the salt crystalson the scalp and shampoo it later on. Afterwards, gently rinse your hair.
Yet another solution to eradicate dandruff is the use of eggs, which also act as natural hair conditioners.Apart from serving as excellent hair conditioners, eggs are also known to help you get rid of the flakes that stick to the strands of your hair.
Drink plenty of water for good health and a healthy scalp.You must consume at least 5 litres of water every day.Do not drink water that is either too hot or too cold.When you drink plenty of water, it keeps the scalp from going dry.Cells that do not get hydration end up becoming dead skin cells, which cause dandruff.
Dairy products have been used by many for skin and hair related problems over the years. Yogurt is one of the best examples of a dairy productthat is known to an itchy scalp.Mix yogurt with honey and apply the mixture on your scalp. You can follow this procedure once a weekto eliminate dandruff completely.
Onions are known to eliminate dandruff while treating the problem of dry scalp. Onions help in eradicating theformation of yeaston the scalp and also makes any redness or swelling vanish completely.
Fenugreek seeds have been used since times immemorial to treat problems such as dandruff or seborrhoea dermatitis.Grind fenugreek seeds with water to a paste and apply iton the scalp. Upon continuous usage,you can get rid of an itchy scalp as well as dandruff. Fenugreek seeds are also known to have excellent cooling properties that keep your scalp from forming dandruff. In fact, you do not need to use any shampoos with cooling crystals when you use fenugreek seeds.