Graying of hair is something that you just cannot avoid. It happens genetically and you would not be able to control or delay the process. It will happen when it is going to happen. No nutritional supplement or herbal remedy will be able to reverse the process and eventually, all the hairs including your beard will start turning from grey to white. This entire thing happens because the cells in the follicles that are responsible for producing pigments get depleted with age. In fact, the natural hydrogen peroxide in the hair also starts to deplete and results in graying of the hair. Although research is being done to find the most appropriate solution so that the graying can be stopped during the initial stages, but so far there has not been any path-breaking results. If you ask someone about the best way cover the gray hair in your beard, then 99% people would suggest you to try the anti-gray dyes. This is by far the safest and easiest way to keep the white hair from showing.
Premature signs of ageing have become a reason of concern for every individual. Nobody wants to age too fast or at least not before they should normally age. One of the major reasons of premature aging in today’s world is due to excessive increase of stress. White hair is the initial signs of getting old and nobody enjoys it! Some more signs could include wrinkling or face or sagging of skin, but white hairs in both head and beard are some inevitable signs of aging we cannot get away with. Well there are procedures to resolve and restore the original hair color to bring back the youthful appearance.
Facts to Know
- White hair is one of the signs of aging.
- There are numerous factors other than aging which can lead to this condition.
- Whitening of hair can also happen due to genetic factors.
- Once your hair starts whitening on your beard, it means it would start whitening in other places too like hair, body, etc.
- Men who have darker hair color, for example black or brown, are more prone to have noticeable white hair due to the contrast of their shades.
- A lot of people let it grow white and not look for treatments, especially if the whitening is due to aging.
- White hairs in beards of men, who are in their mid-twenties or thirties, have a reason to be concerned about.
Apart of the aging, there are some more reasons which can let men have premature graying. These would include:
- Vitamin deficiency, especially Vitamin B12
- Thyroid disorders
- Genetic causes
Prevention of white hair in beard
If you have a genetic disorder, you will know that this has been a hereditary problem. It would be easier to prevent such a condition. Although, all men, who are prone to excessive stress or who have started having white hair or their head, and assumes the same for their beard, can start taking some preventive measures. Treating your white hair and prevention of further increase could also be another tip to take from the following points:
- The improper routines we need to follow in today’s world, we ought to compromise on a healthier living, which includes fitness and a balanced diet. But to increase longevity and to live healthily is a major step which we all need to take, along with all the day to day challenges we face. Eating healthy and maintaining a balanced diet is a decision and can be added on your schedule. All you need to do is to follow it thoroughly. Eat foods which don’t just cuddle your taste buds but are nutritious.
- Increase the consumption of vitamins, especially vitamin B12. Take supplements if you are aware of its deficiency.
- Make exercise a regular activity in your weekly routine. You might not have the time to hit the gym every day, but try to exercise every alternative day. You could also meditate and take some yoga lessons which not only helps you maintain a healthy body but also releases you from stress.
- Try to reduce unhealthy habits like smoking and excessive drinking. These increase disorders and improve premature whitening of hair.
Covering up for white hair
There are numerous ways to get rid of the white hair in your beard. Read through the tips and choose the one that suits you perfectly:
- Shave off for the initial days of treatment and healthier living. First of all, if you shave off your beard you will look younger. Secondly, once you have started living healthier, you would start growing back better strands of hair in your beard. A healthy life and a healthy look go simultaneously.
- You could also opt to color your beard. You have to make sure to use good colored hair dye so that you do not damage your beard. You also have to consider that the dye would get in touch with your skin, which unlike your scalp, is softer and more delicate. This is why you must consider having the best product or simply ask for professional help.
- Try to relieve yourself from excessive stress. Do what makes you happy, take frequent breaks and give yourself holidays. Everybody needs rest and everybody needs some time of relaxation.
- Some natural remedies like curry leaves and gooseberry are also used for pigmentation of hair and nourishment. These are a little time consuming but would yield effective results.
Natural remedies to cover white hair in beard
Amla and Coconut Oil mixing Amla/gooseberry with coconut oil creates an effective treatment for your problem. Take a small aluminium boil and add 1 teaspoon of Amla powder. Take 1 tablespoon of oil and blend the two. Heat for 3 minutes and let it cool. Massage the mix on your beard for 5 minutes. Let it dry for the next 15 minutes and wash off with clean water.
Curry Leaves Crush 8-10 curry leaves and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Keep the flames low and heat for 5 minutes. Let it cool, after which you can massage just like the previous remedy. Repeat process regularly for speedy results.
- Extract the juice of curry leaves. You need around 1 tablespoon of it, to be mixed with 1 tablespoon of buttermilk. Boil the mix for 5 minutes and on low. When it cools down, massage your beard. Let the mix dry for 30 minutes after which you can rinse with lukewarm water.
- If you don’t have time for the above remedies, you can simply boil around 10 curry leaves and drink the water when it is lukewarm. Repeating this process daily would help you get desired results.
Dying white hairs in men beard
When you are absolutely convinced that dying is the only way to keep away from those white hairs in your beard, you will require the following things for the whole process:
- Facial cleanser or soap
- Color developer
- Color base
- Application brush
- Old t-shirt
- Application brush
- Latex gloves
- Mixing tray
- Petroleum jelly
- Stop watch/timer
- Cotton swab
- Paper towel/tissue paper
Patch test for allergy
Before doing anything else it is important to do an allergy patch test. For this, you will have to perform the following steps:
- Step 1: first of all, clean a small area of the skin located on the inside bends of the elbow. For this you will require plain water and soap. In the next stage of this step, you will have to take the color base and color developer and mix them in equal parts. Keep them in a mixing tray. The application brush should be used to mix these two items.
- Step 2: the mixture made in Step 1 will not be applied on the clean spot with the help of a cotton swab. Since you will not require the whole mixture of color base and color developer, keep them in a tightly capped container. This will not let the mixture to dry quickly and become sticky in a short span of time.
- Step 3: leave everything and wait for 48 hours. This is the minimum waiting time to check if there is any kind of allergy exists in your skin or not. If there are no itching, burning, redness or discomfort on the area where you applied the mixture, then understand that there are no signs of allergy. However, if you do see any of the above mentioned symptoms, it means that your skin is allergic to the dye that you have used. In that case it would not be suitable to use the same dye on your face. Try using the dyes that are made from herbal ingredients. These are most likely to keep your skin safe and also keep the graying of the hair away.
Prepare to dye
Once you are confident that your skin is not allergic to the dye that you are going to use, it will be time to actually try the dye on. You will need to follow 5 steps in this process and the steps are really easy to understand and apply. Here is what you have to do:
- Step 1: this step can become a bit messy and that is why you need to wear an old t-shirt before applying the dye. The dye will be wet and there is a possibility that it will drip onto your clothes. So, it would be wise to wear something that is old and no longer used by you. Moreover, if the dye drips on your skin and you are not aware of it, you will have a hard time removing it.
- Step 2: in this step you will have to wash your beard carefully with a soap or cleanser. Always use lukewarm water while washing your beard as it is more effective. Additionally, also use a toothbrush. This will help remove dirt and debris and also the oil that sticks deep down inside the beard. Using the toothbrush will also get rid of the flaky dead skin that normally sticks inside without being seen. When you are done, rinse the beard and pat the skin dry.
- Step 3: whenever you dye your beard it is of utmost importance to apply petroleum jelly all around your nose, lips and mainly on the beard’s hairline. If you think that the dye could touch some other place, apply petroleum jelly on that place as well. Petroleum jelly will ultimately help you wipe the dye easily. Always remember that if you do not use petroleum jelly and the dye stains your skin, it will be really tough to wipe it away. That is the only reason to spread the dye in areas that are vulnerable to the dye touching or dripping in those areas.
- Step 4: take a tray and the color base and the color developer. Put on the latex gloves and take equal amount of the base and developer and mix them properly. This is a crucial step in the whole process because this mixture has to be appropriate so that the white hairs in your beard will not be peeking out easily.
- Step 5: ideally, you should use the applicator brush to mix the developer and the base. Use the tail-end to mix quickly and effectively. If you think that there is any leftover, store it for future use. However, if the packaging says that it is not good to store the dye, then try using it at one go. It is because of this reason that you need to be careful while taking the right amount of both color base and the color developer. If you exceed the amount required, the extra amount will be wasted. So, follow the instructions that are given on the packet and then take the right ratio.
Applying the dye
After the allergy patch test and preparing the dye, you are all set to apply the dye. You are basically one step away from covering the white hairs in your beard. Applying the dye is a threefold process. Given below are the steps that you need to follow:
- Step 2: if you see the packet of the dye, you will notice a set of instructions given. There you will find an approximate time that the manufacturer has recommended keeping the applied dye on the beard. Try setting a timer or a watch and wait for that time. This is done mainly to allow the dye to start showing its effects and turning the white hairs black.
- Step 1: take the application brush and dip it into the mixture that you made in the previous step. Once you dip the brush, you will have to apply the mixture immediately on the dry beard. If you are not sure what strokes to apply, you can simply go for the upward and downward strokes. This normally covers all the parts of your beard. One thing that you need to remember is that you will not have much time after you dip the brush. The dye has to be applied immediately after you dip the brush in the mixture. If you keep the brush with the dye without applying it, there are high chances that the dye will get dry on the brush. This is certainly not something that you would want. It takes a hell lot of time to remove the dried particles of dye from the brush.
- Step 3: after waiting for the stipulated time you will need to wash the dye away. Firstly, rinse your beard with lukewarm water. Do not use cold water because it may not be as effective as warm water. You will have to be quick while rinsing. Start preparing the warm water a few minutes before the time is up for the dye to rinse. Keeping the dye on for more than the time required can make it stick on to the skin unnecessarily. That is why it is better to be prepared from beforehand to avoid any mishaps. After rinsing with water properly, you will have to apply shampoo on the areas that you have applied the dye. Again use warm water to rinse and wash the shampoo away. Check if there are any areas that have dye sticking. Clean those areas and pat the beard dry. If you want to wash the areas that you had earlier covered with petroleum jelly, you can always go ahead and clean them as well. Otherwise, you can just wipe it away.
As said earlier, it is not up to you to control the graying of hair. Some people experience premature graying of their hair while some may experience at a later stage in their life. But, this whole thing is inevitable. You cannot push back the time when it is supposed to happen. Whenever the graying starts you can opt for the best dye in the market and use it as and when required. Try to follow the steps that are mentioned above. This is the standard procedure in which everyone should apply dye. Different manufactures may have different other procedures, but ideally you should be following the ones that are given above.