What we eat always effect our bodies. If you want to stay healthy and fit you might need to follow particular diets. A low sodium diet is one which is prescribed for a number of reasons. Those who work out for muscle bulk are prescribed low sodium diets, since salt causes water retention and hampers the muscle building. Those with severe heart conditions are also prescribed a low sodium diet. A low sodium diet is also good for those with high blood pressure. Those with Ménière’s disease need for follow a low sodium diet as well. But a low sodium diet can be difficult to maintain.
Avoid consuming salt in excess. Even though you may like to add lots of salt to your food, it is important to understand that it is not healthy. However, if you are a patient of high blood pressure then it is advisable to reduce the quantum of salt you consume. If you do not cut it out from your food then it may damage your kidneys. This reduction in the intake of salt can reduce the possibility of suffering from a heart problem.
By following these methods, you can easily eradicate the use of sodium in your meals. Where there is a will there is a way. Try, try, and try till you succeed. If your doctor has advised you against the excessive use of salt, it is better you follow the advice strictly.
18 ways to have a low sodium diet
If you are compelled to go on a low sodium diet then here are a few tips that can help you stick to your diet:
- When you are on a low sodium diet do not think of the salt you cannot taste think of the other flavors that you can. Once the salt is cut out you can taste the flavors of spices easily. So start adding spices like nutmeg, cumin, and cinnamon and so on to your dish.
- A habit of having salt can be cut off by making access to salt difficult. Ask your family to take away the salt shakers and keep them hidden during meal times. Even in restaurants ask your waiter to remove the salt shakers from your table.
- Eating out is very difficult since there are very few restaurants that will offer salt free dishes for your diet. Hence it is best to cook up a storm at home instead of going out for meals if you are on a low sodium diet.
- If you live off your microwave then a low sodium diet can be impossible for you to maintain. Frozen food always has high salt content. So always avoid frozen food to avoid salt.
- If you are reducing salt then you need to reduce sodium in your diet as well. You need to cut down on ingredients such as baking powder and baking soda if you need to go on a low sodium diet.
- Adding low sodium soy sauce can help cope if you still find your food too bland. The low sodium soy sauce can be sprinkled on your dish to make it a little more flavorful.
- If you add more chilies to the dish then the flavor of the dish will be driven by the heat of the chilies. Do not over power your dish but try adding the heat so that your taste buds do not feel the need for salt.
- When you cook your meal you need to marinade your meat beforehand. By marinating your meat you add flavor that the meat will lack if you do not marinate it. So marinating can help you avoid the need for salt.
- Chart your meals in such a way that you do not consume dishes which require salt. If you have supplements and meal replacement smoothies then you do not need to add salt to them.
- Ignore cured meats since they are cured with salt. Even if you blanch the meat the salt is not removed entirely from the meat. So, always opt for fresh meat instead of cured meats.
- You can purchase fruits that are fresh as they have low sodium in them.
- You can also purchase vegetables from malls. While buying, make sure you check the sodium content. Buy these vegetables only if they are labelled as having zero sodium content.
- Salted biscuits are best avoided. Try consuming biscuits that are sweetened instead. Always make sure you go through the label that talks about the sodium content in these cookies or biscuits.
- You should always read the labels while purchasing any food items from the super market. Read the fine print at the bottom of the packs of the products before buying.
- If you would like to purchase a packet of chips, make sure you compare the sodium levels in the different brands before purchasing it.
- Always make sure you peruse the labels of products, especially those that you do not have any knowledge about. For example, cottage salt may taste sweet but it actually contains a lot of salt in it.
- Try serving dishes with toppings that have little or no salt in them try to do some research before purchasing these products. Do a comparative study on the spot of those spices that are believed to have excess sodium content in them.
- Do some private research on the internet before eating out to find out whether the restaurant near you serves low sodium dishes or not.
These are the number of ways in which you can refrain yourself from consuming excess salt. Diligently following the above tips can help you eat the right way. Think of it this way. Just as a diabetic would refrain himself from having sugar to stay on the safe side, similarly you should also avoid salt if you would like to prevent blood pressure problems.